The village centre has a complex local road pattern with hedges, fences and particularly high, brick walls which usually constrict the lanes, add to the local character and give a sense of enclosure and intimacy.
Thorpe is 2 miles north-west of Chertsey and traces of a causeway exist leading from the parish church of St. Mary to the site of Chertsey Abbey. The church contains much Norman and Early English work and some 16th century brasses indicate local connections with City merchants and Crown servants who lived in the area.
The surrounding area has been heavily worked by gravel extraction but this has not intruded upon the village centre. Motorway construction to the west facilitated the provision of a local by-pass to take away all but the most local traffic from the narrow village streets.
Click here to see the catalogue of the Thorpe Parish Records (1813-1835) held at the Surrey History Centre.