Lower Halliford is about mile east of Shepperton around the outside bank of a meander of the River Thames. Walton Lane leads to the crossing point of the river at Walton Bridge.
Commercial traffic on the river had probably encouraged the establishment of a ropery at Lower Halliford which remained active until the 1860s. At this time brickearth was worked in the area. Shepperton railway station opened in 1864 as the terminus of the Thames Valley Railway and encouraged development nearby. More recent development has joined the older area of Lower Halliford to the newer district.
Peacock House was the residence of the writer Thomas Love Peacock (1785-1866), one of whose daughters married George Meredith, poet and author, and lived locally with him for three years at Vine Cottage.
The meander of the river, the broad, open green and the sweep of the development of interesting buildings form the basis of the area’s riverside charm and attraction.