Shepperton is 2 miles east of Chertsey on the River Thames. Saxon artefacts have been found in the area and an Anglo-Saxon version of the place-name, ‘Scepertone’, probably indicates a shepherds’ hamlet.
St. Nicholas Church dates from 1614 but contains 12th and 13th century work. It has a Royal Pew at its west end approached by a separate external staircase. The Rectory adjoining is a fine building with a front of circa 1700 in mathematical tiles.
The first part of Church Square is fronted by hotels and shops while the farther part offers access to the river. The narrowness and bends of the main road are part of the local character and are included within the conservation area. Also included are Manor House, its grounds and the north bank of the Thames, which together offer an excellent vista from the riverside. There are separate parking, seating and boating areas.
Shepperton Studios has a long history of film making, which began in 1931.
Did You Know?
Many impressive pieces of Bronze Age (2500 – 700 BC) metalwork have been found in the River Thames, including a sword at Shepperton and spearheads from Sunbury.
Finds from the Neolithic (4000 – 2200 BC) to the Anglo-Saxon (410-1066 AD) period have also been dredged from the river. Probably some of these were not lost by accident but were ritual offerings. Sometimes they may have been made with river burials, as many human skulls have also been found in the Thames here.