Surrey Heath draws its name from the extensive areas of heath and woodland in the borough. This landscape is evidence that Surrey Heath had been populated since Prehistoric times, as heathland was caused by overgrazing during the Neolithic period.
Chobham is the only village mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, and this and Frimley were held by Chertsey Abbey in the medieval period.
Bagshot Heath was notorious for highwaymen during the 17th and 18th centuries. Bagshot was a prosperous village and many inns stood alongside the main road to London serving the coaching trade.
The heathland is also suited to military uses, and army camps began to appear in the 18th century. With the construction of the Royal Military College, now RMA Sandhurst, a small community began to form nearby, which is now Yorktown.
Nearby Cambridge Town was set up in 1862, with the establishment of the Staff College further to the east. To avoid confusion the town changed name to Camberley in 1877.
Click the links below to find out more about the: