This village is in the extreme north-western part of Surrey, on the heathlands, close to the Surrey-Berkshire border. It lies along the A30 and is focused on the junction of the London and Guildford Roads where they cross the Windle Brook, a tributary of the River Wey. Bagshot is located 10 miles north-west of Guildford, 10 miles south-west of Chertsey and 5 miles north-west of Chobham.
The main part of the village (the northern part) lies on the sand of the Bracklesham Beds; the southern part lies on the Barton Beds. The soils here are known for their acidity, lack of fertility and tendency to dessication. However, the valleys of the Bourne and Windle Brook are comparatively fertile. Bagshot is separated from neighbouring villages by heathland, and much of the surrounding land is owned by the Ministry of Defence and the Crown Estate.
Many nurseries for plant raising were established in the area. These include the business started by Michael Waterer in 1829.
Click here to see the catalogue of the St Anne’s, Bagshot, Parish Records (1837-1958) held at the Surrey History Centre.
Did You Know?
15th/16th century wall paintings dating to after the Dissolution of the monasteries were found during renovation works in a building on the High Street, Bagshot which was once an inn.
Bagshot Heath was notorious for highwaymen during the 17th and 18th centuries.