Mention is made of land in the area being held by Chertsey Abbey in the 7th century, and in the Domesday Book of 1086, it appears as ‘Chalvedune being of two hides (200 acres) and a church’. Chaldon is a village of some 650 dwellings and 1800 inhabitants lying among the Surrey hills between Caterham and Reigate.
The area is criss-crossed with footpaths and the majority of roads are described as lanes, which helps underline the rural feel even though it is under 20 miles from London.
The path along the North Downs Way overlooks Park Ham Scarp. This area of chalk grassland, one of our rarest and most endangered wildlife habitats, lies within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) and is also a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) with its diversity of rare plants and flowers.
The seven acres of Six Brothers Field was given to the National Trust in 1926 in memory of two brothers from the Harman family, to ensure that the residents would always be able to enjoy fresh air and exercise. Six Lundy granite stones on the corner of the field represent the six brothers.
The village has experienced considerable enlargement over the last few centuries with the opening up of modern transport routes, but it has nevertheless maintained many of its fine historic buildings. The medieval church of St Peter and St Paul houses an outstanding wall painting dating from 1200.
Click here to see the catalogue of the St Peter and St Paul, Chaldon, Parish Records and Chaldon Civil Parish Records (1564-1931) held at the Surrey History Centre.
Close by is Chaldon Court, a 14th century manor house. Other listed buildings include Tollsworth Manor, the thatched timber-framed Rook Cottage (1600) and an 18th century flint house, Rook Farm, with a thatched barn.
- Chaldon Parish Council website