The locality has a long history of human occupation with archaeological finds of many periods, and the historic east-west trade route along the line of the North Downs passed through the town. A Roman villa site exists in Titsey Park and to the east is the line of a Roman Road which ran north-south through Edenbridge. Limpsfield is only 2 miles from the county boundary with Kent, about a mile south of Titsey which is at the foot of the North Downs.
The church of St. Peter has features of many periods with the oldest parts dating from about 1180. The composer Frederick Delius is buried in the churchyard.
The parish was essentially agricultural with the village as a focus, but since the early 20th century there has been a gradual increase in residential development, particularly to the west and north-west. The historic village centre has survived pressures of development and retains numerous buildings of interest, some of considerable antiquity. The High Street has an elongated, gently meandering character. The gradual rise to the south is also important to the visual interest.
Click here to see the catalogue of the St Peter, Limpsfield, Parish Records (1539-1947) held at the Surrey History Centre.
Did You Know?
Bronze Age (2500 – 700 BC) flints were found in an area proposed for an extension to the lake at Trevereux Manor, Limpsfield. This suggests people were living in the area.