The historic village centre of Oxted lies 3 miles east of Godstone and until 1971 was on the main east-west route of the A25. It is now by-passed to its great advantage and most traffic now uses the M25 motorway. The village sits at the north-east corner of Beechwood Hill and the surrounding land falls to the north and east with the High Street going down the steep slope to a tributary stream of the River Eden.
The village has been largely an agricultural one with the usual scattering of larger, private houses. The coming of the railway in the 1880s encouraged development of small houses and villas, and certainly the period around the start of the 20th century saw an increase in such development. A new centre grew up around the railway station about a half mile to the north-east. Although building has occurred around the historic centre it has taken place without detriment to its character or the setting of the many buildings of interest.
The Master family of Barrow Green House were one of the leading landowners in the area and in 1923 Charles Hoskins Master donated the land for the recreation ground known as Master Park.
Click here to see the catalogue of the St Mary, Oxted, Parish Records and Oxted Civil Parish Records (1603-1944) held at the Surrey History Centre.