This small beautiful village, steeped in history, is centred round a village green with pond, Grade I listed Church, The Crown Inn and other Grade II/II* listed buildings. Chiddingfold lies approximately 12 miles south west of Guildford in the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The name Chiddingfold has evolved over the centuries from the Saxon meaning fold, an enclosure for animals, in the hollow belonging to the Caedingas, followers of Cedd or Cedda, the East Saxon Bishop (AD 654- 664). Items from the Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age, Celtic and Roman periods are in local museums and are found in the names of places in the parish such as Cherfold, Okelands, Mesels, Frillinghurst, Killinghurst and Sittinghurst [Sydenhurst].
Traditional Wealden industries of glass making and iron founding were carried on from the early 13th century to the 17th century, using timber from the forests in the Weald for fuel. Farming of cattle, sheep and arable, Kersey cloth making, tanning and dyeing, brickworks, coppicing, stick making and large family estates created employment during the various stages of village development to the present day.
Key buildings of the village include St Mary’s 12th century church which replaced an earlier wooden chapel, and the Post Office and other shops.
There are three inns: The Swan, The Winterton Arms and the world famous 14th century Crown Inn (see below) built on the site of an earlier ‘Halle’ of 1285.
Most properties around the green date from 14th to 16th century. They are timber framed Wealden houses with later additions of tile hung or period facades, as are others within the parish boundaries.
The thriving St Marys Church of England School has provided education for local children since 1837. There are several other facilities for village use including the Village Hall rebuilt in 1994, the Recreation Ground and Pavilion, 1995, Combe Common football ground and the 19th century Cricket Green.
- Village website http://www.chiddingfold-pc.gov.uk/
- Archive website www.thechiddingfoldarchive.org.uk
- Waverley Borough Council Chiddingfold Conservation Area Appraisal http://www.waverley.gov.uk/site/scripts/download_info.php?downloadID=187
- Mr H R H White; Chiddingfold, The Village and History of the Parish Church of St Mary
- Rev T S Cooper; History of Chiddingfold [Haslemere Museum]