This parish lies 4 miles south-west of Cranleigh and runs north-south on slightly higher land between two tributary streams of the Arun river system. It occupies a relatively flat but partly wet and marshy area with the oldest parts around the church and on the west side of an enormous, long common.
There was no mention of Dunsfold in the Domesday Survey of 1086 and the area was probably uninhabited woodland. Iron forges or furnaces were noted in the parish during the 16th century and references occur into the 18th century. Bricks and tiles have also been made locally.
The church of St. Mary (click the link to see the Historic Environment Record for the church) and its neighbouring buildings form a small, separate group about mile west of the present village centre. The church dates from about 1270 and is a rare relatively complete survivor of its period, despite later alterations.
Click here to see the catalogue of the St Mary and All Saints, Dunsfold Parish Records (1628-1989) held at the Surrey History Centre.
Burningfold Manor, in Dunsfold, is one of the finest examples of a manor house in the country. It is a restored, partly timber framed 15th/16th century building.
The main feature of the village centre is the expansive, open common across which the buildings of note are viewed. Properties are scattered along its length and are pleasantly varied in their age, styles and materials.
Click here to see the catalogue of the Dunsfold Civil Parish Records (1848-1939) held at the Surrey History Centre.