Godalming: Key sites and buildings


The 1841 Tithe Map and the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of c.1870 appear to preserve the medieval street pattern. High Street, Mill Lane and Church Street form the main streets with Pound Lane and Mint Street still in existence. The most notable development is the relief road built in the 1990s parallel with the High Street and cutting through Mill Lane and Mint Street.


Godalming had a market by 1300 which was always at the site of the 19th century Pepper Pot, which replaced a 15th century market house. The building was also the Hundred House where the hundred court was held. This unique building has become a symbol of Godalming.


St Peter and St Paul's, Godalming, Image: Richard Purkiss

St Peter and St Paul’s, Godalming, Image: Richard Purkiss

The parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul has parts probably from the 9th century. The nave and spire date from the 12th and 13th centuries. 19th century restoration has taken away much of the character. External views are impressive because of the huge lead spire.

Other buildings

Phillips Memorial Cloister by Thackeray Turner in 1913 commemorates the heroic ‘Titanic’ wireless operator Jack Phillips who was drowned with the ship. He came from Farncombe where there is a plaque to him in the church. The cloister includes a fish pond and is now part of a large garden and open space. The original planting was by Gertrude Jekyll.

Godalming, Phillips Memorial garden Photograph: Richard Purkiss

Godalming, Phillips Memorial garden Photograph: Richard Purkiss

There are still a number of mills in the town including Catteshall Mill, Hatch Mill, Ockford Mill and Westbrook Mills. None remain in use for their original purpose, most of their machinery having been removed.

Godalming, Charterhouse School, 1895 Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection

Godalming, Charterhouse School, 1895 Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection

Charterhouse School moved to the edge of the town from London in 1872 to new buildings designed by P.C. Hardwick, all in local Bargate stone. A memorial chapel to former pupils killed in the Great War was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and built in 1922-7. It is in the same Flamboyant Gothic style as Liverpool Cathedral.

There are many old shops in the High Street including 99-103 which are of three storeys, 16th century, timber-framed with two overhangs. There are also several shop-fronts from the 17th century. ‘The Square’ health centre is a timber-framed, tile-hung and brick house from c.1500. Other shops and buildings of historic interest can be found at Church Street, Mint Street and Mill Lane.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *