Westbrook becomes the Meath Home
In 1891 Westbrook Place was bought by the Countess of Meath, who was a Victorian philanthropist founding many institutions and movements.
She was born Mary J. Maitland, and was to be only surviving daughter of Admiral Sir Thomas, 11th Earl of Lauderdale, and in 1868 married Reginald Brabazon, who was to be the 12th Earl of Meath.
Westbrook Place was opened in 1892 as the Meath Home of Comfort for Epileptics. The first patient was Jemima Lemon, aged 12, who came in October and by Christmas the home had 18 patients.
The annual report of 1920 stated that there was accommodation for 87 patients, and of these 62 were Poor Law cases sent under thirty-nine different Unions.
The HRH Duchess of Albany, Queen Victorias daughter-in-law, officially opened the newly decked-out Meath Home on the 4th August 1892, the occasion being made one of great festivity by the Godalming townsfolk.
The Meath Home is only a few minutes walk from the Museum. High Street, Godalming, with decorations celebrating the opening of the Meath Home in 1892.
For the early history of Westbrook Place and its association with General Oglethorpe click here.