Wonersh

The winding village street contributes greatly to the character of the place and is lined by a considerable number of old buildings. This is one of the most attractive of Surrey’s village centres. Wonersh is 3 miles south-east of Guildford at the east side of the valley of Cranleigh Water.

It was one of the centres of the clothing trade in West Surrey with blue cloth as a special manufacture. This was, no doubt, dyed with woad, for a licence to grow the crop was sought for the neighbourhood in the 16th century. The industry was declining in this area by the 17th century, and Wonersh shared in the general decay.

Lord Grantley's house at Wonersh, by John Hassell, 1822 Surrey History Centre ref. 4348/3/36/2

Lord Grantley’s house at Wonersh, by John Hassell, 1822
Surrey History Centre ref. 4348/3/36/2

The former garden of Wonersh Park was given to the village for public recreation in 1950 by Mrs F H Cook. The mansion was, in the 18th century, the home of Lord Grantley who had been successively Solicitor-General, Attorney-General and Speaker of the House of Commons.

At the east end of the village is Dower House, formerly Bishop’s House, at one time the residence of the Suffragan Bishop of Guildford. The front was added in 1710 to an older building.

Wonersh, The Grantley Arms, 1894 Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection

Further information

Search...Search for records related to Wonersh on this website

    • Wonersh History Society website
    • Parish of Wonersh with Blackheath website

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *