St Peters is a Grade I listed building and the listing is as follows:
Church. C12, chancel addition C13, tower C15, south porch C16. Vestry added and Church restored in 1886. Mortar rendered rubble-stone with carstone in nave walling, freestone ashlar to tower, brick south porch, rendered chancel and flint vestry; plain tiled roofs. West tower, 3 bay nave, south aisle and porch, chancel to east with vestry addition to north corner. 2 stage tower, angle buttresses to first stage containing tiles and brickwork, brick dressed square casement window over arched west door. Battlemented unbuttressed stage above with clock face on north and west sides. South porch with centre roll moulded depressed arch to door, niches to either side, crow-stepped gable above. C13 Lancet windows to south side of chancel, renewed 3 light window to east with curvilinear tracery, renewed C15 windows to south aisle. West door within the tower c1100, oak with large iron C straps and horizontal bands in roll moulded arched surround with cushion capitals to piers. Octagonal piers to south aisle arcade, 3 crown post trusses to nave roof, chancel arch doubled chamfered to choir, single chamfer to nave.
Fittings: Arcaded west gallery dated 1622, pulpit in similar style, although altered, having lozenge patterning. Nave font C19, stone decorated Gothic style, bowl on stem with surrounding marble columns. Some late mediaeval pews survive the remainder are copies.
Monuments: Chancel North wall: Sophia Flayer Jervis died 1834: Grey and white marble draped female figure on coffin. South wall: Johannes Lloyd, died 1663: stone artisan tablet with open pediment enclosing smaller segmental pediment to top, strapwork decoration, central black marble tablet. Nave: North wall: William Harvest, died 1741, grey marble panel, flanking piers and crowning acorn. Reverend R. Emily, died 1792 by R. Westmacott Snr; White marble, fluted piers flanking a pedimented niche, central draped urns, scrolls to cill. South Aisle: South wall: Thomas Bund, died 1776, grey and white marble obelisk top winged cherubs heads below. John Merest, died 1752, white marble, fluted Ionic pilasters with flanking scrolls, crowning cherubs heads either side of a coat of arms, gadrooning to base.
Brasses: To John Shadhet, died 1527, Isabelle and Henry Purdon died 1523: standing figures with hands folded in prayer.
There was a minister church at Woking and evidence exists suggesting that this early church was in being in 690 and 775. The earliest part of the present building is Norman and it is possible that it occupies the same site as the original minister foundation although there is no evidence to substantiate this.
You can find the listed building record for St Peter’s Church here.
For more information about Old Woking and St Peter’s Church visit www.oldwoking.org.
Click here to read about the World War One memorial in St Peter’s Church.