Established to complement the Springfield Asylum in Tooting, Brookwood Hospital opened in 1867 as Brookwood Asylum. It was the second County Asylum able to hold 650 pauper lunatics. Brookwood Asylum was the leading mental hospital for the West of Surrey.
Brookwood was sited on 150 acres of land which lay between the Basingstoke canal and the village of Knaphill, four miles west of Woking.
During the 127 years of its operation, the hospital developed considerably. It was self-sufficient with, among other things, its own dairy, cobblers, sewage farm, fire-brigade and chapel. Later came a reception hospital, then library and conference centre.
Following the opening of the sick hospital in 1938, patient capacity peaked at 1,753.
The hospital closed in 1994.
Click the link to see more