In 1943, a number of Italian Prisoners of War were kept at Carfax Avenue in Ash, then called Raytone and Princes Avenue.
The prisoners lived in the houses surrounding Carfax Avenue, and their administrative offices and cookhouse were in the centre triangle which now has flats and houses, and before that had prefabs.
There was a Belgian lady who lived at 79 Oxenden Road who became friendly with the prisoners.
It was POW Annunziata Alfonso who made the crucifix in the bottle dated 12.3.1944.
Click the link to see more