Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens was born on 29th March 1869, the tenth child of Charles and Mary Lutyens of Onslow Square, London and Thursley, Surrey.
In 1888 he started his career as an architect and in 1889 he was commissioned to design Crooksbury in Farnham, Surrey.
Around this time he was a house guest of the Bray family in Shere and is reputed to have been courting Helen (Nellie) Bray.
In 1892, Sir Reginald Bray commissioned Lutyens, aged 23, to design a shop in Middle Street for Charles Summers, Barber & Shoemaker (now The Lucky Duck Tea Rooms). This was followed in 1894 by East Lodge for The Manor House and Western Cottages in Upper Street.
Lutyens association with Gertrude Jekyll and his subsequent illustrious career is well documented. In 1897 he married Lady Emily Lytton and had 5 children.
Click the link to see more