Long Grove Hospital opened in 1907 on land in Epsom acquired by the London County Council. It accommodated 2,149 patients. Between 1907 and 1948 it was administered by the Asylums Committee, later Mental Hospitals Committee, of the London County Council. During the second world war the hospital received patients from Horton hospital which was used for treating military personnel.
Long Grove also received large numbers of Polish patients, of whom three hundred remained in 1951. On 5 July 1948 the hospital passed under the administrative charge of a Hospital Management Committee of the South West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board. It closed in 1992 and was replaced by a smaller unit at Tolworth Hospital managed by the Kingston and District Community NHS Trust.
Find out more about the records for Long Grove held at Surrey History Centre, including those relating to Second World War and Polish patients.
Other hospitals in the Cluster
Disability and Mental Health History in Surrey
Other Mental Hospitals in Surrey