Springfield Asylum was Surrey’s first county mental hospital. It opened in 1841 and was extended in 1847 and 1853.
The many records created by the committee of visitors and the staff who ran Springfield tell us much about the people who were treated there, the care they received and the ways in which their time in the asylum was spent.
Building, plans, elevations and annual reports from 1896-1889 are held with our Surrey quarter session records and provide a detailed picture of the early history, layout and daily life of the hospital. A few early case books also survive for the years 1849-1887 (SHC reference: 6367/1/1-13). Other surviving patient records are at London Metropolitan Archives.