Monument Hill School

Monument Hill School was established in 1907 in Maybury, Woking, Surrey.

In 1927 the school was divided in two and became a Junior School and a Secondary School of the same name.

Not many school reports survive, it is therefore interesting that the Surrey History Centre contains a report in their archive for John Crump in 1926.

In 1963 the Secondary School closed and 19 years later in 1982 the Junior School also closed.

Monument Hill School then and now.

The Surrey Herald edition 28th November 1919 reported that a Brian Halloway, aged 14, created a memorial to those from the school who fell in the Great War.

A transcript of the newspaper article can be found here.

The names below are the soldiers who were originally listed on the War Memorial.

George Annetts A Lawrence G Ormond
A A Bailey W Lenton J Pallett
L Coppard Edward George Locke E Stubbington
Frederick Francis George William Millard W Taylor
Hampton George Sydney Dormer Moulding Leonard Vincent
Henry James Horne Lyall Marcus Neal Norman Howard Slater Wheeler

Click here for a spreadsheet containing the names and other details of those listed on the memorial. The PDF attachment is from the Soldiers Died in the Great War database. The database can be accessed at Surrey History Centre in Woking.

Further Resources

  • For resources on the building agreements of Monument Hill School Click Here
  • To see the archive catalogue record for John Crump’s school report Click Here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *