Non-Vocational Studies at GSA

During the 50s and 60s there was a growing demand for non-vocational classes in Guildford. Classroom space was the limiting factor which stopped courses being able to expand further but plans for increased accommodation were being made. In 1965 it was hoped that the Royal Grammar School would vacate the wing of Lower Pewley the following year and that this building could then house the Non-Vocational Classes. Classes would be organised as the space became available and the rooms which Non-Vocational Classes had been using would then be used for full-time students.

11013145_10208287497411745_2263392615014078841_o

The number of students taking Non-Vocational Classes rose each year from 1956 to 1964 with classes being offered during the days, evenings and Saturday mornings. Students can from a variety of backgrounds with young people, teachers and other professionals all studying Non-Vocational courses in Guildford. These classes were intended to encourage personal development and were not examined, although some students did take G.C.E.s at ‘O’ and ‘A’ level.

11223669_10208287654655676_3392130812489474860_o

Additionally, 6 Saturday morning classes for children were offered. These were well advertised in the local press and contact was maintained with various local schools and groups including the Women’s Institute, the local Art Society, the local Film Society and Guildford Public Library.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *