‘All appeared to be Tramps’
By the 1860s there was a cluster of common lodging houses in Warwick Town. This area later merged with Redhill, on the London to Brighton road, a busy route lined with inns. With the increase of road traffic during the nineteenth century and the arrival of the railway junction in the late 1840s, Redhill’s place on the traveller’s map was secured.
In 1871 John Whiting applied to have the Britannia Beer House registered as a common lodging house. The Head Constable surveyed the house and noted in his report that there were four sleeping rooms containing twelve double beds.
In 1869 The Marquis of Granby Public House was also inspected prior to its registration. When the Constable visited one night in March he found seventeen people, including five children, in bed or on the floor in just three rooms – ‘all appeared to be tramps’. Despite apparent overcrowding the premises were ‘fit’ to be registered less than a month later.
- Introduction – Living away from home
- Common Lodging Houses: page 1
- Common Lodging Houses: page 3
- Common Lodging Houses: page 4
- More about Redhill
- Royal Holloway University of London website
- Surrey History Centre website
- History of Redhill and Reigate website
- Holmesdale Natural History Club website
- Holloway Sanatorium in the display
- Charterhouse School in the display
- Visit Royal Holloway University of London’s on-line gallery: Snapshots of Institutional Life.