Stoatley Rough School was founded by Dr Hilde Lion in 1934, largely through the efforts of Bertha Bracey, a Quaker eager to alleviate the plight of German refugees. It was a mixed boarding school and catered mainly for refugee Jewish children from Nazi Europe.
Recognised by the Ministry of Education in 1940, it continued as a school after the Second World War, its intake gradually changing to disadvantaged British children sent by local authorities. The school closed in 1960 on the retirement of Dr Lion.
The house was acquired in 1960 by The Ockenden Venture who renamed it Quartermaine and ran it as a school/children’s home. Click here to read more about the Ockenden Venture.
The Stoatley Rough School Historical Trust website includes photographs of former pupils, biographies of staff members, a history of the development of the school and description of courses taught, together with archive film footage from around1938. Click here to visit the website.
Surrey History Centre has a small collection of items relating to Stoatley Rough School (click here to see a copy of the catalogue pdf format (). The main archive is with the London School of Economics and Political Science, Portugal Street, London.