A three-year programme of excavations started at Woking Palace in 2009. Important artefacts discovered on the site included extremely rare blue patterned Valencian floor tiles, of which only a few shipments were known to have come to Great Britain in this period. Other finds included a possible in-situ medieval tiled floor in an area, which potentially could have been near or within the Queens apartments.
A still from one of the Woking Palace 2010 dig video blogs
Supported financially by Surrey County Council, Woking Borough Council, the Surrey Archaeological Society and the Heritage Lottery Fund; with assistance from Archaeology South-East (a unit of University College, London), QUEST (a unit of the University of Reading), the Department of Archaeology, University of Nottingham, the Surrey Archaeological Society and the Friends of Woking Palace.
These video blogs record the dig’s activities during the summers of 2010 and 2011.
A manor house is known to have existed on the site from 1272. Lady Margaret Beaufort (mother of Henry VII) owned the manor lands from 1415. Henry VII reclaimed the manor house from his mother in 1503 and began the transformation from manor house to palace. Henry VIII and his daughter Elizabeth both made structural changes to the palace during their reigns. The palace was no longer under the rule of the Crown by 1620 and fell into disrepair. Apart from a single excavation in 1911/12, it has remained untouched by archaeologists.
For further information please see:
Credit: Video prepared by Tom Straker